Monday, April 4, 2011

Self Portraits.

Okay. So here it is. I LOATHE self portraits. I don't know why, but for some reason they just aggravate me. In a previous assignment when asked to do self portraits I attempted to cleverly avoid it by taking both very close up obscured images of myself or pictures of objects that related to who I am. I did everything in my power to avoid being the true subject of any photos during my time in this course but now... the time has come and I find myself the subject, of 4 photos. I will admit despite my dislike for the process (setting up camera on tripod, setting up timer on camera, setting up shot, setting up shutter speed, running in front of the camera, having no idea what to do, look like an idiot in numerous pictures of my face looking back at the camera as if I was there telling myself what I should be doing, after doing this 8 times finally figuring out how I might pose, finally pose right, shit. the shutter speed was too high, shoot photo again, damn. moved the camera while previewing that last picture, shoot the same photo 10 more times, finally get a picture that I enjoy.)I actually somewhat enjoy the photos that came out in the end. However I can say with a lot of certainty that I do not plan on taking an more self portraits this semester after I finish with these.


In the 15+ takes before this photo my face wasn't quite as red but after repeatedly going through the process above I couldn't help but be a little sweaty.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your self portraits. Nice lighting and compostion in both of them. I can tell you thought about each portrait specially the first one, how you want to position every object such as the bed, the lamps, the art work on the wall and you are laying on the bed looking up at the ceiling. You look like you're engaged in some deep thinking. The photo has some soft and peaceful feeling. Well done.

    ReplyDelete